Ah, it’s a big day here at Casa Catastrophe.
It’s Dexbox’s 13th birthday, we lose another son to the Teenage Years.
To celebrate and commiserate, here’s the recipe for the cake the twins and I will be baking for him. It’s a chocolate and beetroot cake, rich and indulgent but with veggies too. And super easy, that’s important.
It’s a cake that has stood the test of time in this family.
Beetroot and Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 3 eggs
- 450g can of whole baby beetroot
- 50g cocoa
- 200g SR flour
- 200g caster sugar
- 125g unsalted butter
- 100g dark chocolate
- Heat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Drain beetroot and then blend with the eggs until very smooth.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together. I gently microwave, but use whatever method you prefer.
- Sift flour then mix in with cocoa and sugar.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Use one 23cm diameter baking tin or two 20cm baking tins… or make cupcakes.
- Baker for 20 – 30 minutes depending on pan or less for cupcakes.
Do you have a never-fail birthday cake recipe??