Well, we just had the most lovely lunchtime picnic and long afternoon play at Clontarf Beach. My twins had the day off school, after their very exhausting Open Day and Fair yesterday.
One of the mums suggested a picnic and play at Clontarf and a few of us leapt at the chance. Could there be a better spot to spend such a glorious autumn day in Sydney?
We had seven kids aged five – eight years. They are old and wise enough to rush around and play without us having to manage them too closely.
Both we mums and the kids had such a fun time.
The kids loved:
* charging around on the wide expanses of sand at low tide
* playing on the beach and splashing through the shallows
* terrorising innocent starfish
* making dens in the bushes
* playing in the fab playground
* games of rugby league and soccer on the grass and on the sand too
* generally running around in the fresh air
We mums loved:
* lying about doing nothing, we deserved it after the efforts of the day before
* myself and one friend had a long swim parallel to the beach
* solving the problems of the universe, much discussion of our ageing parents and grandparents, our cultural differences with our various backgrounds being English, Indian, Scottish and Aussie
* that old fave, the work-life balance as a mum
Clontarf Beach is my little daughter’s favourite. I popped up some photos of her leaping into the water at Clontarf last year on this post.
Like my new trifocal glassess? Man, I’m getting old.
Here’s to outdoors family fresh air fun that’s almost free. I say almost as the parking cost me $14. Splutter!
Hope you’ve had a lovely day wherever in the wide world you are.