This simple white chocolate mud cake is the least healthy cake known to man: it’s basically an instant coronary.
You have been warned.
PS the recipe is below but if you’d like to download a pretty printable PDF recipe, click here.
But it’s also the teenagers new birthday cake of choice, so twice a year I make it, with love. Teen16 became Teen17 yesterday and this is the cake we celebrated with. He was delighted. He needs to run a half marathon now to burn the calories off.
By teenagers request, there are no photos of the candles or himself blowing. These modern kids do know their digital rights.
With no more ado, here’s the recipe. It’s from a book called Cafe Cakes, by the Womens Weekly. My two sisters and I have have that small recipe book and we swear by it.
- 250g butter
- 150g white chocolate
- 440g caster sugar (2 cups)
- 250ml milk (1 cup)
- 225g plain flour (1.5 cups)
- 75g SR flour (0.5 cups)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- Set oven to 160 degrees C.
- Chop butter and break up the chocolate and put them into a saucepan with the milk and sugar.
- Heat very gently, stirring, until everything melts together and is smooth: no boiling!
- Cool for 15 minutes.
- Sieve flour into a bowl.
- Whisk together eggs and vanilla.
- Blend flour into butter, sugar, chocolate and milk mixture. Then stir in the eggs and vanilla mixture.
- Pour mixture into tins. I used two small round spring tins for this cake, but often use a larger single tin. Official recipe calls for one 20cm round cake tin.
- Bake large single tins for about an hour, then cover tin with foil to stop it burning and bake another 45 minutes. My smaller tins took about 45 minutes.
- Ice with white chocolate ganache: 125ml cream (0.5 cups) and 300g white chocolate gently heated together then cooled... makes heaps... I used about ⅔ of that amount.
So there you have it. One son one year older… always a little voice at the back of my mind saying: ‘I want my baby back!!’ Last year, I was allowed to put some photos of him up and write 16 things about it. But not this year. Fair enough, son. But the cake goes out into the world! Please don’t make it if you already have clogged arteries. Luckily, I’d had a big swim with the Bold and the Beautiful yesterday morning… I needed some simple carbohydrates… and I got them!
Don’t forget you can download a pretty printable PDF recipe, click here.
Hope your week goes well, and the baking too.
Do you make the odd death by chocolate cake?
Or are all your cakes of nothing but dates, nuts and organic cocoa??
Don’t tell me!